Saturday, September 21, 2013

Peace Day for Poultry: One Chicken’s Vision for Harmony


Feathered Activist Hopes for Justice and Security


In 1981, the United Nations General Assembly picked Sept. 21 as Peace Day. Although not as popular as Thanksgiving or Fruitcake Toss Day, the date allows all of humanity to promote ideas of friendship.
As a firm believer of unity and non-violence, I thought it important to speak out for a species without a voice. Of course, I'm speaking of chickens.
Following is a speech a rooster activist could have conceived, but been unable to communicate. Until now.
"My fellow fowls, my winged brothers …
We are docile and gentle. Yet we are baked, broiled, and blackened.
We are non-judgmental. Yet we are sautéed, shaken, and skewered.
We are mindful and forgiving. Yet we are cleaned, cooked, and crunched.
We expect nothing. Yet we are barbequed, buttered, and brined.
We are peaceful and plain. Yet we are chosen, chopped, and chewed.
We are humble and helpless. Yet we are roasted, rotated and ruminated.
We ask nothing. Yet we are fattened, frozen, and fried.
We are passive. Yet we are braised, breaded, and beer-battered.
We are diffident. Yet we are stewed, stuffed, and skewered.
We are placid. Yet we are grinded, glazed, and grated.
We are neutral. Yet we are pounded, pulled, and pot-pied.
We have been abandoned in skillets, flung over rice, dropped in soup, sliced in salads, formed into nuggets, marinated in mango, cut up in casserole, massacred in Marsala, shaked, baked, pounded, glazed, and made servants of General Tso.
But my feathered friends …
I envision a day we can live unruffled.
I envision a time we can strut without fear.
I envision a sunrise of independence.
I envision a tide of liberty.
I will peck unending for freedom.
I ask, you, and you, and you, my favorite fowls, to join me.
We will rise above."
I'm quite certain his thoughts echo sentiment found in coops around the world.
Happy Peace Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment